Friday, December 28, 2007

Same Scar

same scar

hold on, your innocence
is all you get to spend
it hurts me just to see you blush
the universe is waiting for your touch

you're lovely and more than that
it'd break me into half
if any harm came to you
but I know that it's coming, there's nothing we can do

get ready
don't wither
i know where you've been
i know where you are
get ready
don't wither
coincidence
I have the same scar

the taxis are running
the tv's are humming
the camera loves to see skin
hollywood is waiting to break you in

and it might be painful
and you might not know it
but you'll feel the cutting
when you're in the moment
the scarring helps you
'cause it toughens you up
but try and remember
everyone's got the same scar
same scar

lover go to bed
I'll see you in my head
I'll sculpt you out of air
put you in a bubble, floating over there

CHORUS X 2

coincidence
I have the same scar

coincidence
I have the same scar

coincidence
I have the same scar


...

This is a song that will hopefully make it to the new record. To me, it's about how living is trading innocence for some sort of life wisdom... And that process, that cutting, is inevitablepainfulbeautiful. And there's a weirdly powerful thing that can happen when we show our scars. In some ways, this song is related to Psalm 151.

A: You're gonna get cut.
B: But it'll be useful... Lessons.
C: And this thing that you're going through? It's normal. Everyone goes through this.
D: You'll be okay.
E: Oh, and we all pretty much have the same scar(s).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's good stuff, I like it. And it explains why you liked the line from my song-in-progress, "Mistakes are necessary/so I'm gonna make some". Same theme. Important lesson. Took me way too long to learn it. And, yes, the song is still "in progress". :)