Saturday, June 09, 2007

Big Sky Duathlon... This Morning

Hey!

I did the Big Sky duathlon this morning (2nd of three that I'm hoping to do this summer). It was a short-ish one, but still challenging. I felt GREAT during and after the race. Who'd have thought that getting up at 6AM on a Saturday to go work your ass off could be so fun... :-)

These races attract UBER-FIT people, so this whole experience -- today included -- continues to serve up PLENTY of humble pie for yours truly. People were blowing past me on all three legs of the race. I just cheer them on when they pass me - truly! I have nothing but admiration and respect for anyone who's doing this stuff: fast, medium or slow. Speed and pace aren't the point (for me). It's about competing with myself and seeing what I can do... what I can become.

Anyway... The race consisted of a 2.5 mile run followed by a 15.5 mile bike followed by a 2.5 mile run. Here's what I did:

Mile 1 - 8:22
Mile 2 - 8:42
Mile 2.5 - 3:31
Transition (run to bike) - 1:27
Bike Out: 25:52 (into a headwind)
Bike Back - 22:50 (tail wind!)
15.5 mile Total Bike - 48:42
Transition (bike to run) - 1:13
Mile 1: 9:24 (running after biking HURTS!)
Mile 2 - 8:36
Mile 2.5 - 3:33

TOTAL RACE TIME 1 hour, 33 minutes 40 seconds

Woo hoo!

~John

2 comments:

Jennifer Newell said...

I am certainly loving the posts. Keep 'em coming. More kudos on a great accomplishment.

Ms. C said...

Yay!!!!