Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hand Surgery




So... I've been in hand surgery limbo for about 6 weeks now... trying to figure out, with my doctor (and his colleagues), what course of treatment to pursue and WHEN to pursue it.

I had feared that I was headed for surgery in June that would involve my fragmented and displaced left scaphoid (the bone at the base of your thumb) getting screwed into the main scaphoid, followed by 3 months of being in a cast, followed by 3 months of rehab. Well, that's basically what IS happening, but I asked my doc if there would be any long term negative effects to me scheduling the surgery in September instead so that I could spend the summer training, doing du/triathlons, playing music, recording, etc.

He said no problem... I can do the surgery this fall!

So other than my hand hurting all the time (pain which I've had for 14 months -- eh, what's another 3 months??), I've got my summer back! Hot damn! I'm gonna go make another record...

:-)

John

2 comments:

Jennifer Newell said...

Hooorraay!! I am very (well, selfishly) happy that you will still be playing the Foundry when I get back! I need some JC music!

Kath said...

Congrats and happy summering!