Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Triathlons and stuff

So I've been doing these little one-man training triathlons every week for about a month now... usually at the Boulder Res or Chatfield. They've been really great. But one of the unexpected side effects is that doing them has made me feel like I've already hit my goal of doing a triathlon this year. I suppose that's because I HAVE hit my goal. So the idea of doing an official race seems a) less scary but also b) less interesting. Also, my music schedule is making it difficult.

Case in point: this weekend. I'm playing Friday at the Lyons Folks Festival for the songwriter competion this Friday. And Saturday night, we're playing a show in Lyons at Oskar Blues. I was signed up and ready to do the Rattlesnake Triathlon on Sunday morning, but I think there's literally NO CHANCE that I'm going to get home at 2:30+AM on Saturday night (Sunday morning) and then wake up at 5AM for a a triathlon. I'm crazy, but I'm not that crazy... So I'm skipping it.

I've signed up for another TRI on Sept 15 at Bouler Res. It's a cool one: 750 meter swim + 25 mile bike + 5K run. It's called "TRI for your cause". They let you choose the nonprofit of your choice to donate a portion of your registration money to... I chose KGNU -- Boulder's community/public radio station. They're such great people there and have always been so great and supportive to me. Anyway, I'm gonna do that TRI so that I can say I've done an official triathlon". But honestly, I didn't get into this TRI stuff for the races. It's truly my least favorite part. The best part has been and still is the training... and setting goals and then hitting them.

It dawned on me a couple of weeks ago as I was finishing a 5K run (the run portion) of one of my training triathlons that I had hit my goal: to complete a triathlon in 2007. It felt SO INCREDIBLY GOOD when I realized that I had done it: an 850 meter swim, a 20 mile bike and a 5K run... all in 96 degree weather (stupid!). Anyway... I'm babbling I suppose. I've just been writing about it so much, I felt like I should write an update on this TRI stuff...

I'm going in for hand surgery in October to fix (hopefully once and for all) my broken left hand... when I do that, I'll be in for 4 to 5 months of zero-to-superlow activity: i.e. no triathlon training. I think I'm going to go completely fucking nuts. I've gotten really used to doing 2-3 workouts a day! Seriously!

Maybe I'll take up meditation... something to try and calm me down.

No comments: