Friday, August 17, 2007

New (old) song

I've been going through my song vault lately... found this one from a looong time ago. I might pull it back out and start playing it again.

broke enough

those homeless boys along the wharf
are pitching quarters 'cause they're bored
so don't believe them when they beg you
for a bed that's nice and warm
a little shelter from the storm
when you close your eyes they're gonna pull out
their sharpened spoons and forks

I want to say I'm sorry for not being broke enough
I know there's something charming
about a clock that doesn't tick
or a stray that's lost and sick
but if it makes you feel much better
you gave me my first chip

am I broke enough yet?

I'm learning how to starve
I've started sleeping… in my car
I carry a pistol in my heart
and I've got you to thank for it
it makes a perfect fit
when I breath it hurts a bit
but I'll know just where it is

when I see you
and I ask you
am I broke enough yet?
am I broke enough yet?
am I broke enough yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY VERY GOOD. This song is totally original. "am i broke enough yet?" wow. cant wait to hear it.