Thursday, April 24, 2008

I'll Write For You

Hi,

It's that time again... Time to bring back the Hire-John-To-Write-You-A-Song program. Otherwise known as HJTWYASP... It's catchy, no?

Here's how it works:

1) You pick something - anything - that you'd like me to write a song about. Literally, any topic or feeling or thought or situation... no matter how vague or specific.

2) Send me an email (letters@johncommon.com) with your idea(s) to me. Along with a check... How much? I dunno. It's not about the money, but I did this for $50 a song last time and realized I might have sold myself a little short. I end up spending about 10 to 20 hours on these things. So pay me what you think is fair. I'm flexible.

3) I take in what you send me... as inspiration. And see what happens... This is the mysterious part of the process. The part where we both have to have a little faith in each other.

4) Hopefully, I write a song. Hopefully it's good. Maybe even great. Then I record it for you - usually an acoustic, intimate kind of recording. But who knows... maybe I'll record it with an orchestra. Then I send it to you as an MP3 along with the lyrics.

5) You do with it whatever you want. And I might too. I did this with my friend Katie and ended writing a song named "Don't Follow Virginia". It's likely going to be on my next record. You can hear a live demo of it on my myspace page right now if you'd like. Here's the story behind that song.

This whole process is really fun. And frankly, I enjoy having inspiration from something other than my own set of experiences. And... it gives folks a VERY DIRECT way to support me and my music.

Email me if you're interested! I'll just sit here and wait for you.



~John

1 comment:

Summer Nicklasson said...

your guitars are angelic.