Wednesday, April 02, 2008

We understand one another.



I have a television -- the very same Pensacola television that my parents bequeathed to me upon my departure from the family unit oh so many years ago. It is the only television I have ever owned. I'm 37 years old now. This television was old when I received it as a young man, eager to face the new world.

It is still bravely running. It is plastic brown. It delivers its messages in color. Its pitifully small speaker is a little blown. It performs barely adequately by receiving PBS, a little NBC, and sporadic episodes from The WB. It abandoned me during the last Super Bowl. It refused to get that channel… That was a difficult time in our relationship. But we moved through it.

Yes, I've grown to love it dearly. We are like an old couple who stuck it out in their arranged marriage and are finally entering the twilight years. We have learned to live together. She has helped me to remain relatively television-free. Like a loving but mostly sexless wife, she pushes me toward National Public Radio to get my news (delivered in my kitchen, via an even older AM radio about the size of a toaster oven with an upholstered speaker grill). And I admit to a daily foray into the dark forest of Internet news.

We maintain reasonable, mutual expectations. We understand one another.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and so .... george lassos the moon

Anonymous said...

en profile de marc darcy

Mimi B said...

ah, it now all makes sense....

Anonymous said...

Too bad! I just saw something saying that all old tv's wont be able to be used anymore since they are getting rid of analog all together and moving to the digital age! I don't remember exactly what they were saying because I wasn't paying too much attention, but they were trying to give advice on what tv upgrades would be needed. maybe you can string this relationship out a few more years with video? Perceived obsolescence at it's greatest..... forced.