Thursday, May 29, 2008

HJTWYASP Update: Let's Give It A Name

HJTWYASP (Hire-John-To-Write-You-A-Song-Program) Update:

A fan/friend, Julie, asked me to write a song about her life-long friend Tom. Here is some of what she wrote me:

...
John, Certainly Not Common, Common- Lucky me to have received your email today. I’ve been tirelessly searching for a one-of-a-kind gift for my swell friend, Tom. I out did my self last year in celebrating his birthday with a Mark Ryden General Sherman print.(Check out surreal pop at its best: http://buckheadcustomframes.typepad.com/bhcf/2007/05/mark_rydens_gen.html) I’ve searched high and low for something comparable. I even lied to him yesterday, saying I had a gift, but have yet to mail it. I am habitually tardy, but I seldom lie. Really, I promise you on both the tardy part and the lying part. Anyway the point being is, I finally stumbled upon his gift or you stumbled upon me. However, you would like to look at it, you are hired. I trust you, your emails make me smile. So a bit on Tom, Thomas, and a very small bit on me: We have been friends since, well, since a while ago. I think we met when we were 15. You can do the math or just make it up. Make him, us, feel young. He, I must say is one of my dearest friends (that is the wee bit on me) and I dare say coolest. Yes, by far the coolest. Anyway he is down with music, in fact he had a radio show on WMPG while he was living in Portland Maine. It should give you a good idea on his style. Farm fresh, I would say. He is studying for his Master’s in Creative Writing at Minnesota State University in Mankato. He is clever, wry and witty- a personality trifecta. He also loves baseball. In truth, and you know I am big on the truth, he is writing a book about his great, great uncle who pitched for the St. Paul Saints from 1921-23, and still holds the league record for most wins in a season (31 in 1923). He is married to a lovely gal, Cathy and the have a dog named Mabel. Oh and this might be something of interest, while living in Denver he worked as a bartender at Splinter’s from the Pine and the Cherry Cricket for quite sometime. I believe he was known as the Mayor of Denver far before there was a Hickenlooper. Well, I could continue on, but seeing as I am at work, I should probably put the brakes on for now.

Is that enough to get started? Let me know what you else you might need. I would like the song to be reflective of art, music, creativity, baseball spontaneity, youth and, of course, friendship. That being said you will probably need more information. Feel free to email or call me. I never answer my phones, so email is probably best. Or, hell if it would help I would be more than happy to buy you a beer or ten to discuss Tom’s Song. Annie had hers, I suppose it is Tom’s turn in 2008. Oh, I almost forgot it needs to be funny. Again, I trust you, I laugh every time I read your emails.
I am very excited to see what happens. I love the idea. Simply perfect.

...

So I decided to key in on the friendship part... 'Cause, there's only so much you can pack into one song... Or, there's only so much I can pack into a song. And besides... it's a mysterious process... what makes a lyric or a chord "feel right" etc.

Anyway, I sent Julie an email to get some more info about her friendship with Tom. Here's what I wrote her:

julie,
could you tell me about the time when you knew he was your very good friend... and not just another acquaintance... or not just another love interest. but a real friend.
and tell me the top three things that you two really connect on.
and tell me the top three things that really piss you off about him.
and tell me the top three things that really piss him off about you.
i dunno... this info might be useful.
~john

...

Here's what she wrote back:

Hey John~
I think I first realized that we were goods and our friendship was that of longevity was in high school. I remember a particular occasion that seems defining. Tom and I, along with a group of friends, went on a hayride I believe for our friend’s birthday. Afterwards we all sat around the campfire. Tom and I talked non stop about how much we loved the TV show Batman (POW!). It was funny and I loved that we could embrace our inner dork-ness. I believe he even had a Batman action figure. Don’t know if we tossed him in the fire, but I imagine we did. SNAP! CRACKLE! POP! Also one night not sure if it was the summer before college or the first summer after our freshman year, anyway we were hanging out with the group and I drove him home and he asked me to come in so he could read me something from his favorite short story. I wish I could remember what the story was, but I thought it was incredibly cool that he didn’t want to show me his fish tank. I also liked his handwriting, I am a sucker for well crafted penmanship. And of course the real reason I knew we would be friends, he could buy beer, slo gin and peppermint schnapps. I think the guy at the liquor store called him and his friend the bow-tie brothers. They showed up wearing bow ties in order to appear older. I am not entirely sure that is a true story, but that is how I am remembering it. He also got me high for the first time and I threw up in El Chapultepec. Under age and high, makes for a great and lasting friendship.

Three things we really connect on:
Music
Art/Design/Writing/Film
Drinking

Three things that piss me off about him:
1. He smokes. At least he did. I saw him last summer for a quick moment and I don’t remember if he was smoking. Either way it bugs/bugged the shit out of me.
2. He lives in Minnesota.
3. He is smarter, more creative and funnier than I am.

Things about me that piss him off:
My teeth are whiter
I look good in pink.
I can burp part of the lyrics to Steely Dan’s Deacon Blue, specifically: They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose. They call Alabama the crimson tide. Call me deacon blues. Urp!
4. The last one might just be jealousy, so here is a fourth: I don’t vote.

Hope that helps... This is fun, thanks in advance!
~Julie

...

So I wrote this song. You can hear it below... Just hit the play button.


Let's Give It A Name

You used to dress up in a bow tie
Buying beer and getting high
Runnin' 'round like we would never die
Without a care

I made a scene. I was totally wrecked
That night in El Chapultepec.
You put your arm around my neck
And got me out of there.

We met a long time ago
And time's moving fast…

When we're old we'll still be friends.
That's the kind of thing this is
If my house was on fire you'd run right in
And pull me out of the flames
Oh, let's give it a name…

You're back in school 'cause you want to write
They say Mankato is a pretty sight
But I know Blue Earth is mostly white
In the winter

I'm still in Denver doing my own thing
Looking for work, waiting for spring
You got married but I'm better with flings
I'm a renter

We met a long time ago
But time moves fast, don't ya know?

When we're old we'll still be friends.
That's the kind of thing this is
If my house was on fire you'd run right in

Sure I could make it through this world without you
But I'm pretty glad that I don't have to

We met a long time ago
And time's moving fast…

When we're old we'll still be friends.
That's the kind of thing this is
If your house was on fire I'd run right in
When we're old
When we're old
When I screw up you step in
And you love me just the same
Oh, let's give it a name…


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was a totally fun bit of background for a really great song. thanks for sharing.

cc miranda

Summer Nicklasson said...

"I'm a renter". I love this line. Nice work with this song. Poignant, simple...true to form.