Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Swim Update #4

Just got back from another swim workout... I was thinking about writing this blog WHILE doing my swim workout. Does that make me a SWIM NERD or a WRITING NERD? Or probably just an all-around, all-American MEGA-DORK. Oh well... I make no apologies. I yam what I yam.

Up until a month or so ago, I would describe what I did when fully submerged in water as "not drowning"... or "avoiding a watery death". I feel safe in saying that where I'm headed, with a lot more training, will eventually be described as "swimming". At this point, where I am TODAY would be somewhere in between not drowing and swimming.

THE GOOD NEWS: My form is definitely better. I have moments where I feel pretty fluid every workout now. I feel like I'm snowplowing through the water less. Also, I'm resting less between laps... In general, the orchestra that is my swimming form is still like a bunch of drunk 4 year olds trying to play Beethoven's 5th... but much less of one than 3 weeks ago! I can sort of feel the different parts coming together... synching up.

THE BAD NEWS: I'm still resting between laps. I think I'm swimming too hard still... and too inefficiently. Plus, swimming is just a different kind of cardio workout, I think. I'm hoping it just takes a little while to get used to it and adapt. Oh, also, I tend to sink a little bit when I turn to breath (right or left side). What's up with that? Probably a form thing.

Perhaps there's a psychological underpinning to this stuff... maybe I could be a pioneer in swim-based psychotherapy. Instead of getting on the couch, you'd get in the pool. Your hydro-therapist would analyze your stroke... "You kick is weak... This tells me something about your relationship with your father..." or "You sink when you breath... What is this "sinking feeling" all about? Hmmm???" or "Your inability to do the breast stroke reveals major issues with women..." etc, etc, etc.

Okay. I'm ending this right now...


1 comment:

Jennifer Newell said...

All this "sinking" talk reminds me of something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-hW75wF4E

:)