Sunday, September 30, 2007

Come On Eileen X 13.1 Miles

I did the Boulder Back Roads half marathon this morning. The run went well. I wasn't trying to push myself too hard for this one... I just wanted to end the season with a good long workout.

Check.

The course was beautiful... dirt roads north of Boulder, behind the reservoir. Lots of trees... their leaves changing. The first 10 miles felt really good. The last 3.1 miles required some focus. My legs ache like a mofo right now.

But that's not the point.

The point is... The entire race... and I am talking about the ENTIRE RACE HERE... all 13.1 miles... I had the song 'Come On Eileen' playing in my head.

Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

and over.

and over.

Why? What cruel, bizarre, unholy, masochistic, self-flagellating brain virus made me do this? What programming error was tripped in my cardio-addled head? What did I do to deserve this? Was it some horribly punny joke made by my unconscious mind? Was it because the band that wrote and recorded this disgustingly-catchy song was named "Dexy's Midnight Runners"?




Look at them... Bedecked in overalls and mullets... Oozing Cockney blue collar charm, like some Dickens nightmare prancing through a 1980s version of a broadway song? It's like a song from the cutting floor of "Oliver: The Musical".

After the release of this music video, in 1982, people referred to it as, "a tribute to the armpit". I think that's due to the over-abundance of untrimmed hair throughout the piece -- with the biggest offender being Kevin Rowland, the singer, songwriter and front man.

Kevin, wherever you are now... I shake my fist at you sir! I never liked Eileen, dude. And I don't want her to come. Or come on. Or whatever sick pop double entrendre you might have been pulling back in '82. Keep Eileen to yourself man.

And get outta my head.

3 comments:

Jennifer Newell said...

I hate to say it but I like the lyrics. And a few parts of the song. But in general, I turn the channel when it comes on.

Jennifer Newell said...

These people round here wear beaten down eyes
Sunk in smoke dried faces
They're so resigned to what their fate is
But not us (no never), no not us (no never)
We are far too young and clever

Anonymous said...

you kill me j...i needed a giggle today. thanks! wouldn't it be a great theme song for an unhinged marathon in which you didn't quite know where to put the banner??