Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sleepy Head Duathlon

I was supposed to walk up at 5:15AM today and drive to Wiggins, CO (an hour or so down I-76) to do the Cabbage Head Duathlon -- a 5K run + 30K bike + 5K run. But when my alarm went off, a mere 2 hours after I had fallen asleep, I just couldn't do it. So yes, this is a bit of a confession.

You see, we played a gig in Boulder last night that got me to bed around 2:30... and to sleep a little after 3:00. I just didn't relish the idea of doing a race on 2 hours of sleep. That seemed like punishment, not fun. So I called my triathlon friend Eliza and bailed on her at 5:30, after 15 minutes of guilt-ridden consternation. She said, "Yeh, I wasn't going to say anything when you told me about your gig..."

So I went back to bed.

Then I woke up around 10AM, drank a pot of coffee, and turned on some music. By 11AM I was feeling roughly human enough to go do my own one-man race... I've decided to name it THE SLEEPY HEAD DUATHLON -- a 3.6 mile run + 20 mile bike + 3.6 mile run.

It was really hot.

No. I mean REALLY hot. I found out, after I'd finished, that it was 97 degrees during my second run. No wonder I was literally fantasizing about cold glasses of water! About 1/2 mile from the finish, I found an errant sprinkler that was gently spraying water in the middle of yard. I jumped on it like a homeless man jumps on a pork chop... like a convict jumps on a conjugal visit... like a... you get the point. Never has hose water tasted so damn good.

Anyway, I missed the Cabbage Head Duathlon, but founded the Sleepy Head Duathlon. That's the news. Let me know if you'd like to do it some time. I'll show you the course.

1 comment:

Kath said...

I'm glad you slept in instead of attempting the first Duathalon. And the fact that you tried to make it up? Good for you!