Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The best workout I've had in a long time (17 days to be exact)

I called my doctor today to ask him again about working out... I'm already going crazy and it's only been two weeks. I know this might seem pretty obsessive to you... but after working out as much as I did to train for my triathlon, I think my brain chemistry got used to regular endorphin washings...

JOHN: "Can I bike?"
DOC: "Yes. But don't put any weight on your hand."

JOHN: "Can I swim?"
DOC: "No."

JOHN: "Can I do core workouts?"
DOC: "Sure. If they don't use your hand."

JOHN:"Can I lift weights?"
DOC: "What are you... an idiot? NO."

JOHN: "Can I run?"
DOC: "Yes. But if you trip and fall, you're going back to surgery, and it will be very, very bad. Don't trip and fall."

I couldn't believe it... I can run! Woo hoo! I immediately went out and ran. Just one, slow lap around Wash Park. It felt awesome... Then I went inside to their little rec center and biked for a while... Oh my God... it felt so good.

I've been buzzing all night.

I know this is a boring entry... Sorry for that. But I'm totally geeked out to be able to run and bike!

2 comments:

Jennifer Newell said...

Yeah John, boooooring!

Just kidding. Good to hear you can exercise again! My roommate recently sprained his ankle and it made him miserable for a good few weeks but he's back to ultimate frisbee.

Margaret Shugart said...

AWESOME! No stopping you now :)