Tuesday, October 09, 2007

New song (paper plates)

I've been working on this one all summer.

Until today, it's just been a sheet of paper, covered in scribbles and coffee tattoos, in a stack of other papers covered in scribbles and coffee tattoos, that I've pulled out occasionally... Normally, I look down at it, sigh heavily, doodle something in the margin, and then shove it back into the pile.

But today, I think I *broke through* on this one. It came as a reward for faith in my "taoist songwriting method". Reverent non-action. (wink wink nudge nudge)

It even sounds okay (to me) when I play it with one hand on the Rhodes. Which makes me think it might have a spark...

paper plates

you're writing haikus
on paper plates
what if he loves you?

you say you don't believe
in soul mates
what if he loves you?

you're turning inside out
and outside in
what if he loves you?

you want to read the book

but you won't begin
what if he loves you?

what if he's just waiting for you to call
he's waiting for your call
do you think he will wait forever?


you think you're tough
but you know you're not
what if he loves you

we can write our lines
but not the plot
what if he loves you

on the way home
hand around your phone
on the way home
late at night, so call

what if he's just waiting for you to call
he's waiting for your call
do you think he will wait forever?





NOTE: This is the second song that I owe K. It's for her friend, T. I used one of K.'s now-famous 'character sketches' as guidance and inspiration. Honestly though, I only use these patron-submitted materials to get started... and then the song grows its own legs, and acquires its own will... After that, I run along behind it -- and try to keep up.

4 comments:

Margaret Shugart said...

I'm curious to hear the music behind this... fast? slow? feels like a strong rhythm...

Jennifer Newell said...

I hear something a little swanky, something maybe even a little jazzy but not outright...

I like ANY song
that has to do with haikus
any way at all!

Anonymous said...

cowboy china

Kmule said...

Thanks again!